Register for Centennial Celebration! / LAPTA Officer Nominations Open / Submit Grant & Award Appl
Updated: Feb 22
1. LAPTA Centennial Celebration & Recognition Ceremony on March 25, 2023
It’s finally time for the Louisiana PTA Centennial Celebration and Recognition Ceremony as we commemorate this special 100-year achievement! It is a day to learn together, network, conduct LAPTA business, and celebrate the winners of our contests, awards, grants, and challenges. There are activities and courses for both adults and children. All are welcome to attend! Registration deadline is March 17, 2023.
Attendance for all Local PTA Units is required as written in the Bylaws. See Lines 527-553 of LAPTA Bylaws at LouisianaPTA.org/bylaws. Participation in the whole day is encouraged but not required.
Tickets are $25 per adult and $10 per child (2-12 yr olds). This includes a Continental Breakfast by CC’s Coffee House, special catered lunch by City Pork with “Taste of Louisiana” menu, Jeremiah’s Italian Ice, activities, courses, and Recognition Ceremony:
1. Activities: Northshore Technical Community College has 2 exciting experiences for children and adults to explore until 3:00pm. Starlab® features a portable digital planetarium. Learn about Night and Day, Moon Phases, Constellations and Star Lore, Eclipses, the Milky Way Galaxy, and more. Gator Mobile STEM Lab is outfitted with state-of-the-art equipment for hands-on STEM career exploration. It has Maritime Technology with Mobile Maritime Simulator, 3D Printing, VR for Human Anatomy, and more.
2. Courses: Session 1 (9:30-10:50) is the LAPTA General Membership Meeting and is open to all. All PTAs are required to attend to help meet quorum. It includes elections of the LAPTA Executive Officers, kickoff of the new state-wide Louisiana Lagniappe PTSA, a brief overview of the rich 100-year history of LAPTA, transition information for next year’s success, and more. Session 2 (11:00 – 11:50) and Session 3 (12:00 – 12:50) each offer 2 courses and are open to anyone. Session 4 (2:00 – 2:45) includes round-table discussions about the National Standards for Family-School Partnerships.
3. Recognition Ceremony (3:00 – 5:00) will include a brief history of LAPTA’s 100 years, New Unit Charters, winners of contests, grants, awards, and challenges, and a special closing.
Free Tickets: LAPTA provides student winners with 2 free tickets (use code 2FREE) and adult winners with 1 free ticket (use code FREEADULT) for the winners of Safety Poster Contest, Love Louisiana Video Challenge, Reflections, Special Awards, and Grant winners. The Local PTA Units may offer to pay for additional tickets.
WHERE: Liberty Magnet High School, 1105 Lee Dr, Baton Rouge, LA 70808
WHEN: March 25, 2023, from 9:30am – 5:00pm
HOW: Register at LAPTA100.CheddarUp.com (or use QR Code) by March 17
COST: $25/adult, $10/child (2-12 yr), plus free tickets for the winners
Questions? Email treasurer@LouisianaPTA.org. Visit LouisianaPTA.org/100.
Download the Promotion Flyer Here
2. Join the State Leadership Team
PTA leaders have diverse talents and abilities and each person adds something unique to the team. Making every child's potential a reality and advocating for our families takes the passion and dedication of many volunteers. Please consider joining us and serving as a leader at state level. Please apply here: LAPTA Officer Nomination Form
Open positions for the 2023-2025 term include:
VP, Arts Education
VP, Leadership Development
Open positions for the 2023-2024 term include:
VP, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We look forward to hearing from you! Thank you for your willingness to share your time and talents.
3. February Founders Day Membership Challenge
In honor of the 126th Anniversary of National PTA on February 17th, add 17 new members by February 28th to qualify for the February Membership Challenge!
To be eligible for awards, PTAs must have Active Affiliation status. The qualifying PTAs will be automatically determined by LAPTA. All qualifying PTAs will receive a certificate and enter into a monthly drawing for $100 to the PTA!
4. Apply for LAPTA Grants and Awards!!
Local Leaders -- we have a real challenge here and we need your help.
LAPTA established a whole new set of grants and awards this year to showcase the value of PTA. We want to help you engage your families and school communities and provide more than the same activities done every year.
The money and awards are waiting for your unit to apply for -- but the response to these opportunities has been disappointing. We have extended the deadlines for the majority of these grants and awards to allow you all the chance to participate. Please take advantage of the deadline extensions!
Grants from LAPTA support local PTAs, students, educators, and school mental health professionals in their efforts to advance our top priorities -- including literacy and reading skills, mental health, community outreach beyond the school, creative teaching lessons, child advocacy through legislative means, and learning more about National PTA.
Awards celebrate the people who make PTA successful and all the great actions your units do! Your wonderful volunteers, advocates, PTA mentors, and newsletters are all eligible for awards from LAPTA!
5. Introducing Jessica Latin, PTA Healthy Minds Field Ambassador
We are very proud to announce that Jessica Latin, who currently serves as the Recording Secretary for Judson Warriors PTA in Shreveport, has been selected to serve as a National PTA Healthy Minds Field Ambassador. The Field Ambassadors are part of a brand-new pilot program with National PTA established to bring awareness to PTA’s work in mental health. Louisiana was selected as one of 12 states for the pilot.
Jessica is a graduate of Louisiana Tech University where she obtained her Master's degree in Counseling and Guidance and a graduate certificate in Dynamics of Domestic and Family Violence. She is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Louisiana, Texas, and Georgia and is the owner of JL Counseling, a private practice, where she provides mental health counseling services specializing in perinatal mental health. A fun fact: Jessica is the reigning United States of America’s Mrs. Louisiana 2023 and will compete for the national title in Las Vegas, NV on March 30th!
6. Active Affiliation is required to maintain your non-profit status with the IRS and LAPTA
All PTA Local Units operating in Louisiana are required to submit their Active Affiliation files to LAPTA in order to continue operating as a recognized non-profit organization. If your unit missed the October 28, 2022 deadline please contact LAPTA at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your situation. We are here to help!